Janet Schaeffler, OP continues the ministry she was involved in for many years in parishes and as Director for Adult Faith Formation for the Archdiocese of Detroit, as she:
- leads days of reflection/retreats, parish missions, and workshops/presentations
- facilitates gatherings and retreats for communities of women religious
- facilitates online courses for the University of Dayton and Boston College
- serves as a pastoral services team member for RENEW International
Janet created and publishes GEMS: a monthly newsletter from an ongoing international best practices study on adult faith formation.
The author of hundreds of articles and several publications, some of her most recent books are
- Waiting in Wondrous Expectation – Daily Reflections, Practices and Prayers Reflections for Advent 2021
- Miracles Abound – Daily Reflections, Practices and Prayers Reflections for Advent 2020
- Let This Be the Time: Spiritual Essentials for Life’s Second Act
- Present-Moment Prayers for Catechists
- We Gather Together – A Family Retreat with Activities to Prepare for First Eucharist
- The Catechist’s Guide to Catholic Prayers
- Deepening Faith: Adult Faith Formation in the Parish
- The Creed: Understanding and Sharing What We Believe
- The Spirituality of the Catechist
- Teaching Kids to Care
- Marian Prayers from our Tradition
- Hope: Scripture Reflections and Conversations
- How to Talk to Children about Jesus
- Activities for What Makes Us Catholic
- and a contributor to The Seasons of Adult Faith Formation.
Janet was one of the 4-member team who wrote the Leader’s Guide to accompany the U.S. Bishops’ Pastoral Plan for Adult Faith Formation, Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us. Janet has been an elected officer of the Executive Committee of NCCL, the National Conference for Catechetical Leadership. In April 2010 Janet received the Distinguished Service Award in Catechetics from NCCL.
Janet has been named as one of the people who have made a “significant contribution” to the field of Christian religious education in the North American context by the “Christian Educators of the 20th Century Project,” Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, La Mirada, CA (http://www.talbot.edu/ce20/educators/)